Monday, August 18, 2008

My Mommy moment

I just had a moment.... it's late, I can't sleep, I am wound up from a crazy and eventful summer. Some of the events have been great, some have been hard, really hard. I am watching as a dear friend watches her five year old nephew battle cancer and it's complications, I am watching family members look for new jobs, I am watching people I love struggle with love and life, I am watching my kids growing and myself growing older too. The grey in my hair is getting to be harder to keep covered, the lines around my eyes are getting deeper and more noticable, my face is looking older and more weathered.... my purse is full of fruit snacks, out of the bag, covered in dirt and stuck to the loose coins floating at the bottom, it's gross and I never thought it would be like that, my mini van is full of crumbs and damp towels from swimming, my house is rarely the oranized and clean home of days gone by. It is littered with cut up pieces of paper ( Charlie loves to cut) dried pieces of play dough on the counter, birthday cake frosting on the stool in the kitchen and trains all over the floor. The moment I just had? It is simple and it is just this, I went and looked at my babies sleeping since I can not. They are sweet, they are beautiful, they are HEALTHY and they are mine. I am LUCKY, I am BLESSED and things are good. I have so much to be happy about. I am so glad to be a mother. My "baby" turns three this week and I honestly do not know where the time had gone. I am glad the my car, house and purse are a mess if it means that I can look at those beautiful sleeping angels when I can not and know that they are mine.

4 comments:

Calee Richards said...

I agree. I woke up to Brent at 4am groaning in pain and after I got him all taken care of I pondered, what if he had been seriously hurt. Then he started to snore and I cried because I was so glad he was in our bed snoring. FUNNY!!!

The Gentry Family said...

So TRUE! How would we live without the kids that drive us nuts sometimes?! Gotta love the little sweeties! :)

Rachel said...

Thank you so much Karyn! I love my babies (and Mark) more than anything, but sometimes the lack of organization everywhere else makes me a little crazy. It's so good to remember that it's worth it!

Nicole said...

It is a great thing to take a step back and realize how blessed we are. I would love to back in time and show more graditude for my blessing rather than complain about what is not perfect. Focusing on the negative never ends well, take it from me... Thanks for the post, everyone needs reminding now and then.